Cascarelli’s long legacy of service to the community had its humble beginnings with bananas, fruits vegetables and peanuts from an Italian immigrant who came to Albion to make a living.
Robert Cascarelli operated his fruit store in the far north end store in the Parker- Kessler block (old Knuth furniture store) at 109 N. Superior Street, where his family lived in the back.
In March 1908, Albion experienced the worst flood in its history, on Saturday March 7, 1908 the flood waters collapsed Cascarelli’s store and residence. Robert and his family made a quick get away as the building and all their belongings fell into the river. One of the most missed items was the original Cascarelli peanut roaster. (In the 1960’s this peanut roaster was found and returned to the Cascarelli family.)
Read more about the history of Cascarelli’s on the About Us page.
Standing on the right, behind the bar, is Louie Cascarelli, the second generation owner of Cascarelli’s of Albion. We can guess that the date of this photo is November 30, 1942, by reading the headline of the newspaper on the … Continue reading →
Beer Steins at Cascarelli’s over the front door. You’ll see lots of antiques at Cascarelli’s but you will need to look up high. Throughout the 1900s, collecting antique and replicated beer steins became very popular hobby not only among individual … Continue reading →
The most striking feature in the dining room at Cascarelli’s is the old bar. This bar was a part of “Dave’s Stag Bar” owned by the Richow family, and was a rustic hangout as late as the 1970’s. The old … Continue reading →
Bohm Play-House Attracts Enthusiastic Crowds at Inaugural Note – this article is from 1929 and the Bohm Theatre is currently closed but undergoing renovations. We will link to the progress from this blog. With the opened Christmas day of the … Continue reading →
by Albion Historian Frank Passic – used with permission Frank Passic’s – Historical Albion Series January 7, 2009 marked the 100th anniversary of Cascarelli’s at its 116 S. Superior St. location. Here- a photograph of the man who owned and … Continue reading →
by Albion Historian Frank Passic – used with permission Frank Passic’s – Historical Albion Series The name Cascarelli is synonymous with good times and good food at 116 S. Superior St. It had its beginnings with the original Robert Cascarelli … Continue reading →
Click on image for more information. Click on it again for a larger printable copy. Click on map for a printable copy. For more information about the Purple Gang – visit www.AlbionHeritage.com or www.AlbionMich.com Purple Gang Walking Tour. The … Continue reading →